Via a January 11 e-newsletter from Hennepin County:
Sign up for Citizens Academy, a behind-the-scenes look at Hennepin County
Learn how county government works to serve its residents by enrolling in Hennepin County Citizens Academy, a free, eight-week series that takes you up close to the people, places and processes that make our county a great place to live.
Participants visit various county facilities, meet county leaders and get a peek behind the scenes. Find out how many miles a snowplow operator plows during an average winter, who answers 911 calls and what a typical day looks like for a county commissioner.
The series will run from March 16 to May 17. Sessions will take place from 6:30 to 9 p.m. in Brooklyn Center, Medina, Minneapolis, Minnetonka and Plymouth.
- Week 1, March 16: Hennepin County Board, budget, property assessing
- Week 2, March 22: Community works, environment and energy
- Week 3, March 29: Health and medical services
- No session April 5 or April 12
- Week 4, April 19: Public Defender’s Office, County Attorney's Office, 4th Judicial District Court
- Week 5, April 26: Human services
- Week 6, May 3: Corrections and Hennepin County Sheriff's Office
- Week 7, May 10: Transportation and emergency management
- Week 8, May 17: Information technology, facility services, elections, workforce development, volunteering
Learn more and register
Find registration information, session topics, materials, locations and more by visiting http://www.hennepin.us/your-government/get-involved/citizens-academy